Let’s see here… last Google publicly showed their indexed sites, it was at 8,058,044,651 Web pages. And that was years ago! Imagine the billions of sites online today!! Not all are quality, not all are of interest – as a matter of fact many are just dead files located on a server out in Internet-land. With that in mind, and the fact that in my not so humble opinion the Web is saturated, how are you going to get found in this mess?
Bullseye marketing! You know what a target looks like, right? All those circles getting smaller until you get to the one in the center – the bullseye. When you play darts, or go to the shooting range you score less with each hit that is in the circles furthest out. If you use this analogy when you think of online marketing, you cannot help but improve your overall rankings.
Each and every day e-mail lands in my inbox touting special super duper never before heard of ways to get your site listed on search engines. Many are just touting the very same bullseye theory I am going to discuss with you here – but for a price. There is no “top secret” elusive way to get search engine listings; as a matter of fact it is really black and white.
- Use a target and begin to carefully create your phrases – no one word keywords here – use phrases that you know for a fact those looking for your site will use – not what you want to get found by. Many times these are two entirely different sets of keyword phrases! If you are not sure what folks are actually using, use the WordTracker Service which offers a free trial. As WordTracker accurately claims: “Target the wrong keywords and all your efforts will be in vain.”
- As you move to the outer circles in the target, note your less important phrases – up to two per circle. This allows you to prioritize your efforts knowing which terms are those terms that are most important and possible for you to get found by. You really need to be realistic here and not use terms that your site simply does not back up with content. Simply typing keywords in the code doesn’t make it so!
- Once your target is complete, begin with the bullseye and make sure that your top page’s title, description and Meta keyword tags use only these phrases. Keep in mind that Meta keywords are all but ignored but we keep that tag in place as it is still part of the overall algorythm of most engines – just not the holy grail it used to be. Also make sure to include these phrases sprinkled throughout your top page copy.
- Now move to the next circle outside of the bullseye. Determine which page those phrases apply to most and follow the above. If the phrases in any target circle are not closely related or do not apply to each other, you can simply create a page with information and resources that applies to each specific term. As a matter of fact that works even better!
- Don’t have pages that target each desired phrase or have pages that have 10s or 100s of keywords in the Meta tags? Then it’s time to get your bullseye marketing program up and in place ASAP! You want to begin the process of creating information packed pages targeted at one or two keyword phrases each and add them to your site.
After investigating your market’s keyword phrases, start with the bullseye containing only your most important one or two 2-3 word keyword phrases.
Search engine crawlers are not sentient; they don’t think, they don’t surmise. They gobble up what is on your site based on the content and the code and then based on each search site’s unique algorithm it is determined how your site will be listed.
The key to bullseye marketing is that less is more. The more keywords and phrases you have on each page, the less you are about any one thing which minimizes your chances of pulling relevantly for any given phrase. You actually will dilute your site’s relevancy by trying to get found by everything under the sun on one page or even a handful of pages. And if you do not have content that backs up those phrases – well, as we say here in Chicago – foe-ged-aboud-it!
Target your bullseye and have your site mimic that layout. You’ll be pleasantly surprised as you see your targeted pages gain higher relevancy and that leads to more prominent rankings!
Do not dilute this process! Use target marketing and hit the bullseye!
Download my free Bullseye Marketing Worksheet and Target with the above instructions:
Bullseye Marketing PDF